Before I get down to the daily grind of learning Thai and climbing rocks in Ao Nang, I decided to spend a few nights in Phuket. The first time I stayed in Phuket about 2 years ago I stayed in Patong Beach. It was quite an experience with the culture shock and over the top night life. This time I wanted something a little quieter so I’m staying near Kata beach. Apparently it is very popular with the Russian tourists because many restaurants have English and Russian menus. I was told to avoid the Russians b I haven’t been staying out late and going to the bars so I have not had to put up with drunk obnoxious people. During the daytime the seem harmless.
Also, Eastern Europeans apparently can not eat spicy food. In Kata Beach, you have to ask for the food to be made spicy. Everywhere else the food defaults to spicy. So even though the Thai food is not very spicy in Kata, it’s a nice place.
I did get out of town a little bit. Here’s what I’ve been up to:
- Visited Wat Kittisangkaram
- Rented a scooter and drove around
- Saw the Phuket Big Buddha
- Drove said scooter to Phromthep Cape
- Got a massage for 300 BHT which is 9.14 USD. Not super cheap compared to other parts of Thailand but basically free when compared to the prices back home.
I’ll post some pictures later but I’m still not over the jet lag so am going to sleep now. In the morning I’m headed to Ao Nang.