There are several beers available in Thailand. Most of them are also brewed in Thailand. They are all some variation on a light lager, pilsner-like beer. The ones I’ve seen so far are:
- Singha, Note: The transliteration of Thai to English is very weird. Thai people pronounce it “Sing”. Not sure why the ‘a’ or “ha” was added.
- Chang, I drank a lot of this in San Francisco.
- Archa, Cheap!
- LEO, My go to beer here.
- Federbräu, Sounds German but it’s Thai!
- Heineken, Presumably brewed in Holland but I haven’t actually bought or looked close enough at a bottle to verify.
- Cheers, The inspiration for this post.
I’ve tasted most of the beers above and all of them rate ok to good. In fact, I had Cheers before and thought it was decent. Not sure what is going on tonight but definitely developed a solid dislike for the beer. It had a weird metallic taste on the finish. One of these days I’ll do a proper tasting and comparison of the Thai beers. But for now, avoid Cheers.